Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Easy Lima Bean Soup

Easy Lima Bean Soup
Recipe on page 57 of Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook

Menu plan originally included salad, but those weren't prepared in time for dinner.

Verdict: Delicious! Granddaddy and Grandmama enjoyed very much. Hubby still prefers Potato and Ham Soup, but he still liked it, and this is much healthier. Grandmama went back for seconds and Granddaddy went back for thirds!

1 lb. bag large dry lima beans
1 large onion, chopped
6 ribs celery, chopped
3 large potatoes, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
2 large carrots, cut in 1/4 inch rounds (I used baby carrots)
2 cups ham, sausage or kielbasa (I used ham)
1 Tbsp. salt (And, yes, tablespoon is correct, and it is not too much)
1 tsp. pepper
2 bay leaves
3 quarts (12 C) water, or combination water and beef broth (I used 12 C water and added 4 beef bouillon cubes)

1. Sort beans. Soak overnight. Drain.
2. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 8-10 hours. (I cooked closer to 10 hours on low)

This recipe required two large crockpots! I think it could definitely be halved, but it was well worth the trouble!

1 comment:

  1. So a New Blog. Yes I enjoyed the soup!!

    ReplyDelete